Scratchbox on hardy

January 17, 2008 on 11:13 am | In maemo | 14 Comments

I've been running hardy (the upcoming ubuntu LTS release) for a while now. After a kernel update, I noticed I couldn't build any packages anymore due to configure failing when checking if built binaries could be run. A bit of log reading, the error seemed to be: "mmap: permission denied", hmm.

The configure test there should be fairly trivial, but just to be sure, I made a little test program and compiled it. The compiler works just fine but the produced binary gave the same mmap-error, so it seemed the arm emulation was broken. After stracing the binary a bit, I saw that it tried to do mmap(..., 4096, ...), which failed.

The error appeared after a kernel upgrade, so I tried to find something related to mmap in /proc, and find did give me /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr, which had 65536 in it. Running sudo sh -c 'echo 4096 > /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr' was my first instinct and it did indeed fix the problem -- any larger value and the problem resurfaced.

So, if you're running ubuntu hardy (or linux 2.6.24(?)), you might hit this problem; and lowering the mmap_min_addr should help.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

1. Hmmm... any quick fixes for the "Inconsistency detected by rtld.c: 1192: dl_main: Assertion `(void *) ph->p_vaddr == _rtld_local._dl_sysinfo_dso' failed!" problem when starting scratchbox on Hardy?

2. inz says:

The "infamous" vdso -thingie. It can be fixed by echoing "0" to /proc/sys/vm/vdso_enabled.

3. lopz says:

yep, use simple command

echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/vdso_enabled

and retry /scratchbox/login

4. manitoba says:

I can login, now, thanks to your tip. however I can't compile anymore...

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b
    "checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
    If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'"

any hints ?

5. manitoba says:

solved :

echo 4096 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr

6. inz says:

This was the issue my blog post was about -- only the comments are about the vdso issue.

7. Sateesh says:

The solution proposed above seems to solve the problem partially. But now I get other errors related to gcc compilation

:1: sorry, unimplemented: had to relocate PCH
    :1: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

Did some googling about this and found, which basically says that the gcc compiler's PreCompiled Headers optimization fails because of wrong mmap address. Any clues on how to overcome this?

8. Niranjan says:

Thanks for blogging. I was about to undo everything before I came across your blog.

9. jon says:

thanks! that just solved my problem.

10. Matej says:

Thank you for this information. It worked fine for me.

However, it seems that this solution doesn't work on Linux kernel 2.6.31 (from rc7 on).

11. Matej says:

Note: Ubuntu Karmic uses kernel 2.6.31. Setting mmap_min_addr to 4096 doesn't help.

In fact, it becomes the cause of failure with newer qemu, which internally sets GUEST_BASE based on mmap_min_addr.

One should not use mmap_min_addr with qemu 0.10.0.

12. [...] 4096 then apply it in this way: sysctl-p [ edit ] Installing Maemo SDK also can take a look http : / / / and [...]

13. jpoikela says:

thanks, this solved the issue in Karmic also, unlike what Matej said..

14. Pierre says:

This trick doesn't work anymore for hathor on Linux (fedora 15).

Still mmap: permission denied

Has somebody resolved this ?